The Best Barcelona Cooking Classes and Food Parties
Barcelona is a city that lives food, and in case you are a food lover planning a holiday to Barcelona, you will certainly want to learn the in and outs of the thriving city’s culinary scene by joining a cooking class. There are plenty of cooking schools in Barcelona run by friendly chefs who love teaching like minded-foodies their best recipes.
What you choose as a cooking lesson depends on your aspirations – whether you want to bring back some new recipes home to enjoy with your loved ones or learn local cuisine with the pros, or simply indulge yourself in a culinary experience. Also, budget and time are an important factor of choice. This blog post covers those aspects and summarizes the best cooking classes available in Barcelona.
1. Join the most spectacular paella cooking experience
Barcelona is such a beautiful city and while you want to indulge in local gastronomy, you don’t want to lose a minute of its beauty. Join a paella cooking experience at a gorgeous penthouse with 360-degree views over the city, including the Mediterranean sea. At this culinary class, you’ll start by sipping a glass of fresh homemade sangria and depending on your eagerness to get hands-on the foods, a professional chef will invite you to cook with him.
The average cost for this activity is 55 eur/per and the starting time is 12 pm
Book here your paella cooking experience in Barcelona
2. Learn how to cook paella at a local’s house
Go on a hands-on cooking class at a local’s house. Experience the flavor of fresh and organic market produce, and learns the insights of Catalan gastronomy from the hands of a native Catalan. Apart from cooking a Spanish Paella by yourself, you’ll prepare bread with tomato, the Spanish omelet, and a punching sangria. Plus, you’ll pair the foods with organic wines from Catalonia. Put an apron and get your hands on!
The average cost for this activity is 78 eur/per and starting time is 6 pm
Book here your paella cooking class in Barcelona
3. Join a Clandestine Progressive Dinner Party with Show Cooking
In Barcelona, you can enjoy a unique culinary experience at an unusual space that is converted into an atypical restaurant for one evening, that last around 4 hours and that is all about local foods, music, good vibes and meeting fellow travelers and locals alike. The locations change constantly but are always within the city center limits, you might get the chance to join a clandestine dinner party at an old medieval factory or a trendy penthouse with scenic views over Barcelona. It is always a surprise!
The clandestine dinner parties in Barcelona involve a chef who showcases how local dishes are prepared, thus ensuring you learn the ins and outs of Mediterranean tapas as well as live musicians or DJs. Participants are welcomed with a glass of chilled cava and appetizers, and an open bar is full of premium local brands, the atmosphere its quite charming! All foods are paired with local wines.
These clandestine parties are a social dining experience where locals and travelers share, eat, laugh, drink and have plenty of fun. Cost is around 122 eur/pax and events are organized in the evening.
4. Go to the market, buy fresh produce and cook with BCN Kitchen
Operating at two of the most emblematic Barcelona markets, La Boqueria and Santa Caterina, this cooking school will take you on a gastro-tour where you will learn about local produce, Spanish traditions and pick up some great tips to buying the best possible ham, olives or olive oil. You’ll end up with a wealth of knowledge regarding Spanish food and appetite you are willing to cook for!
Back at the kitchen be ready to get your hands dirty, you will be preparing a four-course meal that you will later enjoy accompanied by other travel and food enthusiasts along with a bottle of local Spanish wine always on hand! You’ll receive the recipes by email so you can relax and have fun during the class.
Main dishes prepared during this cooking class: gazpacho from Andalucia, traditional Spanish omelet from inner Spain, the famous seafood paella, accompanied by the simple and yet delicious bread with tomato, and crema Catalana.
Regular courses run throughout the week. From 10:30h to 14:30h. The courses are up to 14 people, and the cost of the market visit, cooking course, and the meal are 70 euros per person. Additional cooking courses and hours are available and those interested should contact directly the school.
5. Close your eyes, open your mind. Join a sensory dinner
The new trend that’s kicking world-culinary experiences is also happening in Barcelona, the sensory dinners. On this experience, you’ll enjoy a musical, visual and interactive journey full of flavors. But you’ll need to close your eyes! It is definitely something to try, and beyond simple gastronomy.
The cost of this experience is 55 eur/per and happens in the evening.
Book here your sensory dinner in Barcelona
6. Learn how to cook from the pros in Barcelona
The Hoffman School is a culinary institution in Barcelona and one of the most prestigious cooking schools in Spain. Founded by Mey Hoffman, who got a Michelin star in 2004 as being one of the main protagonists of the modern Spanish cuisine.
Hoffman school offer cooking classes around four concepts: passion, creativity, experimentation and constant concern. Whether you are an amateur or a professional, Hoffman Courses meet all different needs.
There are basically four categories of courses to choose: The Hofmann Hostelry Course for young people, the Hofmann Professional Courses, the Hofmann Specialisation Courses which are quite practical, and the Hofmann Monographic Courses that go around cookery and pastry for developing cooking techniques whether professional or personal. Cost and timing really depend on the type of course you choose, it ranges from 3 hours to a few months.
7. Uncover the secrets of seasonal cuisine with Canela Fina
Specialized in Catalan gastronomy, this family-run culinary school in Barcelona offers a range of seasonal cooking courses and events. The cooking space is trendy and beautiful, it used to be an old ¨espadrillas¨ (shoes) factory, and it is located in the backstreets of El Born district.
The cooking classes are given by local chefs, most of them young promises, and the type of dishes prepared reflects the availability of fresh produce at the Barcelona Markets, for which they also organize visits. On their cookery experiences, people learn the basics of Catalan cooking through a hands-on experience that includes the preparation of several dishes in an intimate and stylish setting that include wine pairings from the best local brands.
8. You Were Born to Cook
Born to Cook culinary school is located in a unique and beautiful site, former home to Christopher Columbus family, that date back to the 16th century at the heart of the Born neighborhood in Barcelona.
They work the food concept from a worldwide perspective relying on native chefs from different countries that bring the best of their expertise in order to work from the roots of different cuisines. Their culinary classes in Barcelona start at around 90 euros per person and usually include the following activities:
- Hands-on lessons to prepare Spanish and Catalonian dishes through the insights of Mediterranean cuisine with hands-on experience provided by local Chefs.
- Tapas hands-on cooking class, including Patatas Bravas, Ham croquettes, Mussels with marinara sauce, Gazpacho, Gambas al ajillo, cream Catalan, and local Spanish wine.
- Paella and more! A hands-on cooking class including seafood paella, gazpacho, Spanish omelet, xato salad with romesco sauce, crema catalana and wine.
9. Marta amb tu cuinem ∼ top rated culinary class on TripAdvisor
A completely off the beaten path experience that will take you to Marta´s house with a group of no more than 12 people for an instructional paella cooking class based on the traditional recipe from Valencia. Straight and simple, this activity is highly rated on TripAdvisor as one of the best cooking classes in Barcelona, also includes lots of wine and an instructional booklet not to forget what you learn. Real food from real people.
10. Cook and Taste, seriously!
Located in a beautiful Roman garden surrounding Augustus´ Temple right in the middle of the Gothic Quarter, this cooking school offer a hands-on workshop experience for people interested in learning about famous Spanish dishes. The groups are up to 14 people and led by experienced and friendly chefs.
While participants enjoy wine from Catalonia, they elaborate a 4-course seasonal meal that will be representative of both Catalan and Spanish cuisines according to the availability of fresh products at local markets. The menu includes tapas from Barcelona, paella, and a traditional dessert. As well participants receive an apron and a booklet with the recipes they prepare.
The cost of this cooking class is 65 euros per person and for an additional 13 euros, those interested can head in advance to the Boqueria Market with the chef for a shopping experience. Also, customized private courses can be organized upon request.
More info at Cook and Taste culinary school
11. Join the 3 friends who founded Barcelona Cooking
Three Galician friends living in Barcelona and in love with gastronomy created this great recreational culinary school that offers fun, unique and memorable cooking experiences for the traveler or the locals. Carefully selecting quality products at the market and providing all necessary tools to succeed, customers cook in a nicely decorated kitchen overlooking the famous Ramblas.
- Catalan Tapas & Wine Class & La Boqueria. Includes a cultural visit to the Boqueria Market, and assisting the chef in preparing creative tapas that are paired with great wines. Wednesday from 10:00 to 14:00. Price 78 euros.
- Spanish Cooking Class & La Boqueria. Includes a cultural visit to the Market, preparing a four-course meal consisting of paella, soup, appetizer and a dessert that are then enjoyed in a friendly atmosphere. Monday to Saturday, except Wednesday (10:00 to 14:00). Price 78 euros. There is also the chance to do this class in the afternoon (18:00 to 21:00) without visiting the Market for 65 euros. Friday and Saturday the afternoon course can also include the visit to the market starting at 17:00.
- Classic Tapas Class. A fun experience for those interested to learn the basics of how to prepare the so famous Spanish tapas and then enjoy them accompanied by red wine from Rioja and white wine from Galicia regions. Monday to Saturday (18:00 to 21:00). There is an optional market visit at 17:00 on Friday and Saturday. Price 65 euros.
Book your experience with Barcelona Cooking
12. Join a cooking class inside the Boqueria Market
This cooking school, located at the historic Boqueria Market offer informal workshops for those interested to learn about Catalan and Spanish cuisine, including the possibility to shop fresh products at the market with a guide. Along the courses, explanations from where the different foods come from, their seasonality and quality, and the use of the five senses are experienced.
The cooking workshops host 15 to 25 participants while the lectures host 20 to 40 participants. English translator is available upon request. The courses take place on Wednesday (morning, midday, afternoon, evening).
- Lecture and product tasting (1.5 hour) (15 euros per person)
- Cooking workshop and tasting (2 hours) (25 euros per person)
- Boqueria market tour, workshop and tasting (3 hours) (30 euros per person)
- Cooking workshop with full meal* (3 hours) (40 euros per person)
- Boqueria market tour, workshop and full meal* (4 hours) (45 euros per person)
*for the full meal participants can choose a regional cuisine (Catalan, Galician, Mallorcan, Andalucian or a mix of 3).
13. Sabores cooking school
¨Sabores taller de cocina¨ is a cooking school located in the emblematic Gracia district that works with professional chefs from all over the world, and that offers a Spanish cooking course for those wanting to submerge in the fantastic cuisine of the Iberian Peninsula and be able to prepare traditional foods at home.
14. La Patente cooking school
La Patente is a school that has a wonderful interior design and that can adapt their offer (currently in Spanish) to English through the private group option. Highly rated on TripAdvisor, offers cooking classes through different optics: local market cuisine, international cuisine, wine tasting and cocktails, and Catalan desserts.
Cooking courses in Barcelona are a great and fun experience, whether you are looking to enjoy some of your time in the city and learn new things about Spanish tapas or want to start or improve a career in cuisine, the offer is varied and the ambiance just awesome!
15. La Cookiteca ~ shop and cooking school
La Cookiteca is a cooking school located in a Beautiful Modernist Building in Passeig de Gràcia. They believe there is no better way than getting to know a culture than through it´s gastronomy. At La Cookitaca you will learn all the ins and outs of Spanish Gastronomy. Here you will learn how to cook paella and traditional tapas, and what we love the most is that they also cater cooking classes for children in Barcelona! Also, you´ll go back home fully equipped to share recipes with yours, as they have an amazing cooking store.
Schedule of standard cooking class:
- 6 p.m.: Welcome appetizer.
- 6:10 p.m.: Briefing – Let’s do it!
- 6:15 p.m.: Start Cooking- Team and individual tasks!
- 7:30 p.m.: Dinner time- You’ll deserve it!
- 8:45 p.m.: Hugs, exchange contacts, and shop!
Also, before learning to cook, you might want to join us for a walking culinary experience in Barcelona to uncover the best of local gastronomy, we can take you where the locals eat! Our food tours are designed around different angles of local gastronomy:
- Take a food tour of authentic Barcelona cuisine at Sant Antoni and El Poblesec foodies districts.
- Uncover culinary traditions through an iconic walk that includes tapas and drinks at Barcelona quintessential Bodegas.
- Taste Spanish Wine on one stroll at El Born neighborhood.