The Best Wine Shops in Barcelona for wine lovers
Without question, Barcelona is synonymous with tapas, paellas, long stretches of beaches, sunshine — and proudly so, an amazing wine culture. The city is pack with bars, bodegas and wine shops where you can drink and buy top quality wines. Here we give you few wine-tips and a list of unique Barcelona wine bars where you can also buy wine bottles, la creme-de-la-creme local for gods and godness´ drink, the ones where the locals go and where certainly a wine-lover will take you into this wonderful world or reds and whites, made in Catalonia.
THINK OUT OF THE BOX ∼ tips for buying amazing Catalan wines
Entering a local shop when you don´t speak the local language might be intimidating, but you shouldn’t worry much about it, especially if you are a wine lover. In Barcelona, English is well spoken and wine is a fantastic way to connect with other cultures, so give it a try. Beforehand, we recommend you take a look at below tips, so you don’t sound like a total chump.
- Celler de vi: Wine Cellar Shop ∼ when you spot one just get in, or find one from our recommendations below.
- ¨Is that black wine?¨ Nope, probably you were trying to translate from Spanish to English, in Catalan language vi negre refers to red wine, and for a white wine, you will read vi blanc.
- Glass of wine: Copa de vi
- ¨I like Riojas¨ Well, you might wanna try Priorat which is the other Spanish wine, produced in Catalonia, that holds the same DOP, the highest in the country. In most shops Spanish and Catalan wines are sell alike, we recommend you buy local.
- “Pink wine is not for me”. Rosé from around the Mediterranean is basically the best summer drink ever and their quality it is just as good as any red or white wine.
- ¨I only drink strong red wines¨ Cool, why don’t you start with an organic white wine, we recommend you trying Blanc de Seré, just close your eyes before having a sip, and you might think you are drinking a red wine.
- ¨Do you have a cheap Champagne, we are close to France anyway?¨ No, that doesn’t happen (even in France), but we might want to start talking about the Cavas available on the store which are locally produced under the champenoise method.
- ¨I bought manchego cheese, can you recommend a good wine for pairing?¨ This is a great start, talk about food because you know what you like, the person running the wine shop will help you out to find the bottle of wine you are looking for.
GO TO THE BEST BARCELONA WINE SHOPS ∼ wine lovers: invest time, talk to your shop assistant, it will pay off!
Ready for discovering the best wine shops in Barcelona? here is the ultimate wine shop scene in town right now, where friendly local wine-connoisseurs will dive with you into the amazing world of Catalan and Spanish wines. Rest assured that you will return and return, for more and more!
JOVANI & VINS
Jovani & Vins is one of those neighborhood wine shops that you want to have close by. It’s both charming and welcoming, it was founded in 2015 by 3 brothers who grew up in a family that produces wine and cavas. There is always one of them ready to fill you in with the best of local varieties from their small and yet impressive wine selection. Not in the mood for wine? No worries, their cava selection is always on point, especially the one they produce: Cava Berdie.
Where: Comte Borrell 30
Gran Bodega del Maestrazgo opened its doors in 1952 at the heart of El Born neighborhood. In our humble opinion is one of the quintessential bodegas anyone visiting Barcelona should visit for an unforgettable wine experience, it is one of those places where you travel in time, the wine barrels at the entrance and the shelves full of the best Spanish and Catalan wines speak by themselves. Their staff is super friendly and knowledgeable, once you enter this shop you are in good hands. So good that we partnered with them for our Barcelona wine tasting experience.
Where: Sant Pere Mes Baix, 90
With more than 6.000 wine references, this is probably the main referent for Barcelona and Spain wine shops. Vila Viniteca opened its doors in 1932 as a colmado which is the word for grocery store, and evolved into the world of wines throughout its existence, always by the hand of its owners. It is the place where you will find the unimaginable, tucked away at El Born charming streets, it is an experience finding its entrance door. Their staff are super friendly and speak different languages, and it is pretty likely that your chit-chat with one of them will end up ¨paired¨ with a great glass of wine while you select your preferred bottle of wine.
Where: Carrer dels Agullers, 7
This wine bar remains one of the Barcelona best-kept secrets at Barrio de Gracia. Close to the strip of shops and restaurant off of Verdi street, Viblioteca revels a fantastic wine-by-the-glass list and plenty of delicious tapas for pairing, plus fresh regional cheeses mainly coming from the Pyrenees, France and the rest of Spain. This is a bar frequented by a local crowd who love talking and learning about wine with the owners, both sommeliers who will take time to understand your preferences.
Where: Carrer de Vallfogona, 12
We all like those trendy and cozy wine stores, and Alex and Damian, the founders of Aguita Vins made that pretty damn well! Located in a hidden alley, finding this wines and a distillery store is a fantastic adventure, leaving the place empty handed impossible!
Where: Carrer de la Volta d'en Colomines 2
CELLER DE RONDA
Small family own shop off the Sant Antoni Market that has a curated selection of local wines and cavas, and where locals pilgrimage with empty bottles to source cask wine or vermouth, a long-standing Barcelona tradition that still some wine shops manage to maintain.
Where: Ronda de Sant Pau 77
BLEND AND BOTTLED
Recently we got to know Claarjte, the amazing woman behind Blend and Bottled, a wine studio that answers all the questions for those curious about Spanish and world wines. This is the places that boast passion about wines and where you can feel at ease. Check their schedule for wine tastings and courses, and their online shop to get unique wine bottles.
Where: Carrer de Lluís el Piadós, 6
Despite the fact that Cal Marino owners have a weakness for Spanish Craft Beers, they converted an old garage into a charming bodega where the old shelves are stacked with plenty of wine, cava, and beers, plus good numbers of barrels where locals fill in bottles with wine or vermouth to take back home. It is worth noting that Cal Marino serves terrific tapas and host Barcelona musicians on a regular basis. It is a great place to spend time in, and to get out with a couple of wine bottles to enjoy at home.
Where: Margarit, 54 Poblesec
CELLER DE GELIDA
This is one of the most authentic bodegas de barri (local wine shops) in Barcelona where you will fill the authenticity and passion of the owners, 5 generations of sommeliers! who will assist you in any way possible to fulfill your desires and wine related needs. It is a beautiful shop to explore and sense the world of wine.
Where: calle Vallespir número 65
Sentits (senses) is a small shop that specializes in commercializing small wine brands. Shop, office, store-room, and tasting space are all together and boast charm while inviting you to shop wines in Barcelona that you wouldn’t easily find. They organize workshops and wine-tastings in their premises.
Where: Carrer de Bailen, 88
EL CELLER DE LA BOQUERIA
In case you are rushing through the bustling Ramblas, off the Boqueria Market wine lovers can find El Celler de la Boqueria, where Catalan wines sit on the shelves along with their Spanish peers. They also have a small selection of wines from all over the world.
View this post on Instagram
Where: Plaça de Sant Josep, 15-B (Barcelona). La Boqueria Market
We hope this blog post about the best Barcelona wine shops brought you some value, as well you can check our article about the best wineries near Barcelona. Would be great to hear your comments, we’re on…
As well, in case you fancy uncovering Barcelona´s hidden spots and its gastronomy, check out our culinary walks in the city of counts:
- The Sant Antoni and El Poblesec Food Tour, an authentic immersion into Catalan gastromy.
- The Bodegas and Tapas Tour, a stroll that takes you to the quintessential old taverns of Barcelona.
- The Barceloneta Brews Tour, a showcase of the amazing craft beer revolution that is happening nowadays in Barcelona