Spanish Tapas Recipe to eat like a local: Empedrat
Empedrat, one of the most popular summer Spanish tapas recipes that originates in Catalonia and that is also representative of the healthy Mediterranean diet. Literally translates into English as ¨stoned¨. It is a simple mix of chickpeas, fresh raw cod, vegetables and a generous amount of olive oil.
It is a classic dish that is easily found in Barcelona and its whereabouts. It is served cold, which makes it a nice summer dish that pairs with a chilled glass of cava or white wine from the Penedes Region. Moreover, Empedrat is one of the healthiest tapas recipes in the world as it is prepared with fresh ingredients that constitute a well balanced mix of highly nutritional ingredients: pulses, veggies and fish.
Recipe: Barcelona Eat Local´s Empedrat
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 60 mins Serves: 4
- 250 grams of chickpeas
- 5 garlic cloves
- 400 grams of fresh cod
- A bunch of black olives (optional)
- 1 kg of organic tomatoes
- 1 organic red pepper
- 1 organic small onion
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- Put the chickpeas into a pot with water and salt for around 24 hours, then drain and wash
- Add water and the 4 unpeeled garlic cloves into a pot and put to boil. Add the chickpeas and boil for around 1 hours. Add some salt 15 min before removing the pot from the fire.
- Peel and chop 1 garlic glove and add olive oil.
- Cut the desalinated cod into small pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes, add salt and drain.
- Cut into small cubes the onion and the red pepper.
- Once the chickpeas are cold, add them to a big bowl with the rest of ingredients, including olives and black pepper. Mix well and refrigerate for around 45 min.
The Mediterranean diet was declared part of the world’s intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2013 and being seasonal, fit a consumption pattern that contributes to reduced food waste and supports local agriculture. That’s great! So we hope you can cook a healthy Spanish tapas recipe meal back home based on this and other dedicated blog posts that showcase great tapas recipes. Bon profit!